Surrendering Your Pet
We provide shelter for all homeless and unwanted animals in the City of Portsmouth. However, surrendering your pet should be your last resort. Please attempt to find your animal a home by using Rehome, asking friends, family, and co-workers, or by placing an ad.
Portsmouth Humane Society takes pets from owners by appointment only. This ensures that you are given the time and attention you deserve when here, and that we have the space and accommodations your pet deserves. Please work with us and communicate openly. To make an appointment, please contact us at 757-397-6004 during normal business hours.
- Call and make an appointment.
- Bring your pet to the shelter for your scheduled appointment, if you arrive late you may be required to reschedule.
- You will need proof of Portsmouth residency (driver’s license or driver’s license + postmarked mail).
- Be sure to bring your pet’s complete vet records, including proof of rabies vaccination, as well as any medications they may need.
- You will be asked to fill out a form describing the animal’s behavior. This includes what the animal likes, dislikes, temperament, and other personality traits.
- Pay the surrender fee of $50 per animal.
Please note that we are unable to accept exotic animals.