Portsmouth Humane Society is currently hiring for the following positions:
—Shelter Veterinarian (Contracted)—
Portsmouth Humane Society is seeking a contracted Shelter Veterinarian to join our animal care team. We are a hard-working team of 16 staff and hundreds of volunteers in an open admission animal shelter with a proud 85% save rate.
The ideal candidate will help design and implement best-practice, quality care to our animals. The position will provide training, leadership and guidance to the PHS animal care team. The Shelter Veterinarian works closely with the Shelter Manager and the Animal Care Managers to maintain the health of the animal populations through effective protocols of animal husbandry and the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. We treat a wide variety of medical conditions and have a solid foster program for recovering animals.
Qualifications and Competencies
• A license to practice veterinary medicine in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
• A willingness to support a learning environment and one who enjoys a collaborative work environment.
• An affinity for our mission and an interest in providing care to our under-served areas.
• The Shelter Veterinarian will conduct and schedule in-house animal examinations 2-3 times per week.
• The Shelter Veterinarian will conduct and schedule weekly shelter walk-through with the animal care team.
• Develop and maintain written protocols for Schedule VI Drugs and Humane Euthanasia per the 79-1 directive from VDACS.
• Advise the PHS Board of Directors as needed.
• Support and respect all PHS staff, volunteers and public.
• Be available on a scheduled on-call emergency basis during shelter hours.
This is a contractual/hourly position.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
PHS is an equal opportunity employer.