2704 Frederick Blvd.
Portsmouth, VA 23704
(757) 397-1900 Fax
Hours of Operation
12:00pm - 4:30pm
Surrenders by appointment only
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at PHS! Volunteers are essential to the day-to-day operations of the shelter. Volunteers are always welcome!
PHS offers the following Volunteer Opportunities:
- - Dog/Cat Socialization (includes walking, playing, and petting the animals)
- - Special Events
- - Nursing Home Visits
- - Shelter Maintenance
- - Shelter Cleaning
- - Humane Education
- - Mobile Outreach Programs (includes PetSmart programs)
- - Foster Care
1. Complete a volunteer application.*
2. When you have completed the application, bring it to PHS.
3. Attend an orientation at the shelter. Joe Mullins, the Volunteer Manager, will contact you with the upcoming orientation dates once you have turned in your completed application
4. Choose which Volunteer Opportunities you would like to participate in.
- *Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Kids between the ages of 10-16 can volunteer with a parent or legal guardian, and are restricted to certain Volunteer Opportunities.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Joe, the Volunteer Manager, at or call (757) 397-6004.